The Internet reported the alleged death of a victim in a traffic accident involving the mayor of Voznesensk
  • Thursday

    19 February, 2026

  • Clear sky

    Mykolaiv

  • 19 February , 2026 Thursday

  • Mykolaiv • Clear sky

The prosecutor's office refuted the fake news about the death of a victim in an accident involving the mayor of Voznesensk

Аварія за участі Євгенія Величка сталась 29 січня 2026 року. Фото: ДСНС КіровоградщиниThe accident involving Yevhen Velychko occurred on 29 January 2026. Photo: State Emergency Service of Kirovohrad Region

Information about the alleged death of a woman who was injured in an accident involving the mayor of Voznesensk, Yevhenii Velychko, was spread on social media. This was officially denied by the Kropyvnytskyi Regional Prosecutor's Office.

The post appeared in one of the city's Facebook groups. The author, Roman Polishchuk, claimed that the victim had allegedly died in intensive care and that the fact of her death was being «hushed up».

The editorial office of NikVesti contacted the press service of the Kropyvnytskyi Regional Prosecutor's Office for comment. They reported that this information was not true.

Advertising

«She has serious injuries. The woman is alive and in hospital,» said Yana Shass, press secretary of the prosecutor's office.

The mayor of Voznesensk, Yevhenii Velychko, also confirmed that the information about the victim's death is fake.

«I saw this fake news, but I didn't even comment on it because I don't understand why people do this. She is alive and in a clinic in Kyiv. Last week, she underwent surgery to have an implant inserted into her spine. We are now looking for a rehabilitation centre. Her condition is stable, and there is positive progress,» he said.

According to Velychko, after his release from pre-trial detention, he learned that the victims were being treated in Mykolaiv, after which he organised the woman's transport to a Kyiv hospital. The victim's husband had a cast put on, but did not require any additional surgery.

Commenting on the progress of the criminal proceedings, the mayor noted that the investigation is ongoing. The next court hearing is scheduled for March.

«Examinations are being carried out, I went to the investigator in Kropyvnytskyi and gave testimony again. I am cooperating with the investigation as much as possible,» he said.

Fatal accident involving the mayor of Voznesensk

The accident involving Yevhenii Velychko occurred during his business trip. On 28 January, the emergency services received information about a traffic accident involving two cars. The incident occurred near the village of Pushkove in the Holovanivskyi district.

On 29 January, law enforcement officers detained the mayor of Voznesensk and handed him a suspicion under Part 2 of Article 286 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine — «Violation of traffic safety rules that caused the death of the victim or caused serious bodily harm».

On 30 January, the Kirovohrad region police published a photo of the car of the mayor of Voznesensk, which was involved in a fatal traffic accident on the Mykolaiv-Blahovishchenske highway. According to their information, when the mayor was driving towards the village of Holovanivsk, he drove into the oncoming lane and collided with a Renault.

On the same day, the court chose Yevhenii Velychko as a preventive measure in the form of detention. In court, he admitted that he drove into the oncoming lane due to bad weather and then lost consciousness.

On 30 January, bail was posted for him, and Yevhenii Velychko was released from the detention centre.

Advertising
Read more:
0
Discussion

To join the conversation, please to the NikVesti website.